(Yes this is a serious article!).
You know – some of you will think after reading the below message that ‘this is a bit girly’.
And guess what? You’ll be right!
But hang on second, posing and dancing to music on stage whilst wearing budgie-smugglers. (I recently saw some bodybuilders at the Mr Olympia ‘body popping’ on stage – don’t ask !), showing how ‘great you look’ with gallons of fake tan…well, that’s a bit girly too if you ask me.
But that’s what the TOP bodybuilders do every year in bodybuilding shows and also of course in the BIG show ‘Mr Olympia’.
My point is – you can’t escape it. Bodybuilding is a vanity sport. You do it to look good.
If you’re a boxer you train different for a different purpose. If you’re a runner you train different for a different purpose also.
If you’re a bodybuilder – you train to look good. In fact, take it up a level, if you’re competing in the Olympia you train to look ‘perfect’.
So now we’ve accepted that it’s a vanity sport. Onward with the article.
8 Easy Ways to Look Younger for Bodybuilders:
1. Always moisturise before you leave the house. Never leave the house without doing so. Ideally use a moisturiser with SPF30 strength ‘sun block’ capabilities. The moisturiser protects the skin from the elements as well as the harsh aging rays of the sun.
2. Get a minimum of 8 hours sleep every night. Preferably 10 hours. As a bodybuilder you should already be doing this.
3. Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated. As a bodybuilder you should already be doing this (and the following points).
5. One specific to hardcore bodybuilders. When you train with heavy weight, don’t ‘screw up’ your face up due to the strain. This is a regular activity (training). So done regularly – it adds wrinkles and stress lines to the face! Just imagine your face when you do a properly heavy deadlift and you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s avoidable wrinkles – so don’t do it! Lift heavy! But keep the face calm.
6. Eat well.
7. Minimise sugar.
8. Don’t allow yourself to get stressed too much. Nothing is worth too much stress.
I can tell you that I have followed points 1 & 2 of this regime rigorously and the remaining points reasonably for many years. I look at least 10 to 15 years younger than my actual age.
So it works.
Bodybuilding will keep you fit, active and strong for many years come. All the way into your twilight years. So make sure your face fits the bill too 😉